Sunday 25 July 2010

A short history of Clogs

The jury is out for me on the subject of clogs. I mean, I wasn't really into them when they made a comeback in the 90's. However, I do appreciate the practical nature of them, in a non croc kinda way, not to mention their historical European connotations. Will I be wearing them? Probably not.

I'm pretty sure they won't be a lasting trend and they're not the most flattering of footwear. I have really tiny ankles, so something that clumpy on me just looks ridiculous. That and I'm really not cool enough to pull a look like that off - hence why I'm keen to leave it to the Europeans.

Another reason for my uncertainty lies within the following exert I discovered on Wikipedia on men in Lancaster using clogs for...questionable funtime. (I may add that this was in the early 1900's but still..):

Clog fighting, locally called 'purring' was a means of settling disputes. Both the fighting and the betting among spectators was illegal.


"It is all up and down fighting here. They fought quite naked, except for their clogs. When one has the other down on the ground he first endeavours to choke him by squeezing his throat, then he kicks him on the head with his clogs. Sometimes they are very severely injured." (www.http://chrisbrady.itgo.com/clogmaker/clogmaker2.htm)

Say what?! Naked? Not cool.

On the other hand, from the same source I discovered that 'clog dancing' was the entertainment of the 1800's.

I digress. Really, we should probably try and look beyond the history of clogs and embrace the now. They are hot fashion property and if you can pull them off, then why not splurge on a pair?

Having spent my sunday morning trawling the internet, I have put together a selection of  shoes that represent the clog trend, without being to cloggy. If you get my drift. Just don't go naked fighting in them.



2 comments:

  1. Is it wrong that I like the green strappy clogs?? Promise id wear them fully clothed!! Nay :)x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also someone who hasn't embraced the clog fashion but I have to say in the 90's I was all for it! I remember making my mum trawl around EVERYWHERE trying to find just the right look of clog, not that I think you could get that many different looks back then, and for some reason unbeknown to me now they had to be white....Once I found what I was looking for I LOVED them. I wore them to death over a whole summer, pretty much every day and I think I got through 3 pairs.

    Loking at them now though just doesn't fill me with the same enthusiasm as it did back then. I'm not sure why, they haven't changed much, except more looks (you def didnt get the green strappy look back then) but I for one wont be going out buying a pair again. They can just stay happy fond memories! :o)

    ReplyDelete